Friday, October 24, 2008

SORE HEADS

I own two registered Alpine bucks. The two cannot live together in rutting season, because one has to be dominant and that means they will fight. So one recent dark morning when went outside to do chores, the young buck comes walking up to me. I put him back in his pen and used a pallet to make it more secure. Young buck is a jumper. One side of his pen is the state road yard with an eight foot high chain link fence topped with three strands of barbed wire that tip toward his pen. The south side has a feeder that young buck was using for a launching pad, and now has an eight foot high fence made of livestock panels and pine poles. The other two sides of the pen are five feet high with corner covers. We will see how that all works. Old buck didn't get up for grain that recent morning. When daylight came, I surveyed the damage of the rampage. Young buck had gone visiting to old buck. There was a four by four foot area outside of the west of old buck's pen that had been plowed almost a foot deep. Old buck's heavy duty livestock panel had been pushed out almost three feet. And the heads of both bucks were bloody. That is what I call real sore heads.

LORD, help me not to act like a sore head, but rather trust in you, not push on the fences of security you put around me.

No comments: