Monday, October 27, 2008

AFRICA - the sheep, not the continent


Africa came to us as an orphan ewe lamb in March of 2005. She was already a month old, and never has really liked us. In March of 2006 she had a huge, darling ewe lamb that we called Kenya. My daughter later changed the name to Satania when she showed her at the Jr.Livestock Show. But the Satania brought her a couple of red ribbons and $450. In March of 2007 she had twins that each weighed about 15 lbs. (big lambs). We named them Zambia and Zimbabwe. They weren't overly tame either (a fact with dam raised lambs) but they both won blue ribbons at the Jr. Livestock Show and Zambia was 12th out of almost 200 in the carcass class (judged with ultrasound, not butchering). Last year I sold Africa, but she came back and lambed with twins again the end of May when I was not home. These twins are Zulu and Botswana - and I am trying to sell the whole family again. Zulu and Botswana are pretty tame because I had bottle babies in the same pen with them and they are so full of curiosity that they came to watch the bottle babies drink their milk twice a day and I can walk up and touch them. But alas, my daughter is now too old for 4-H and they didn't get to go to the Jr. Livestock Show.

No comments: