Monday, October 20, 2008

Konrad, Olga and Ole

Last month I came across a lady that said that all cows were autistic. I challenged her - that she never had had personal experience with cows then, because cows are intelligent and react with each other and their caretakers. Konrad, Olga and Ole are my current calves. Konrad is 3 1/2 months old and ready to wean, but he sure does like his big bottle. I feed him last of the three bottle calves, and he patiently waits over by the hay and grain until his turn. Olga is impatient, but a few slaps and she will not try to steal the nipple away from Ole. Olga likes to suck on the other calves' ears and I am working on teaching her to NOT suck on ears. Ole is the youngest, just over one month old now. He is one month old and on the shy side. All three calves are aware of the world around them and interact with it- not autistic. Their favorite play time is dusk and they play tag or roll the big black plastic tube around the pen.
This evening I fed garden debris to the critters. Konrad has a good healthy boy appetite, and is willing to at least try anything. Beets and carrot tops were great with him. It took Ole some time to get going on the beets. Little Olga is the finicky little girl. I was down to the next to the last beet before I could persuade her to put one in her mouth - and then she wanted more, but I soon ran out. Sorry Olga.

No comments: