Friday, June 20, 2008

Who's face?

The cows, the goats, the sheep, even the chickens that live around me have personalities. So that is what my blog is going to be about - at least most of the time. I have had cows for more than 45 years. I have fun giving them names (look out friends, if my cow or goat has a personality like you, I could name them after you) and caring for them every day of the year.

My very first calf was General. He was a Guernsey bull and we lived in Selah at the time. His mom was Peggy and she was a cull cow from a dairy, but plenty good enough for my family. The next year he had a sister born that I named Jenny. Both General and Jenny got eaten. After that I got involved in 4-H and bought a registered Brown Swiss heifer named FanLee Joy. I sold her for college money. There was a trail of cows then -Cricket, Jem, Jewel, Sindy, Sebastian, Irene, Patsy...

Now I am a part time milker at a 100 cow dairy down the road. I get to name those cows too. I have four milk goats, two bucks, ten kids, one ewe and four lambs.

But now I have to go start supper.

No comments: