Saturday, December 13, 2008

Wind and Weather

We have no choice of the wind and weather that comes our way. This valley gets lots of wind, we do live in an earthquake zone and because of the elevation, we can get big temperature swings in short time spans. This area is classified as desert, but we did get a flood in our valley in the winter of 2004, that was quite an experience. Since we cannot make choices of weather, I see no reason to complain either.
We have winter weather heading our way. It is actually fun to watch it. I expected to wake up to white ground this morning, instead I saw a big moon and lots of stars. Temperature was a "toasty" 32*, but the wind was the miserable piece. The wind caused waves in the livestock water tubs that prevented ice from forming. How nice!?! So with such good weather, I did a wash load of towels and hung them on the line. My fingers got painfully cold, but that is expected at this time of year, no big deal. As the sun came up the wind picked up. We had a good thirty mile an hour wind going by 11 a.m.. I had to ask Ari to hold the laundry basket so that I could take the towels in (some from the line and some from the ground).
I dress in layers for winter weather. I have ok gear, but sure nothing to look at. I feel sorry for the goats when I have to milk them with cold fingers, but I try to wear gloves when it is cold. The dogs think my gloves are great toys, whether they are laying on the ground or on my fingers. I do not enjoy the wind because it blows the hay around. DO NOT put on chap stick before feeding hay and wear tight clothing to prevent it from sifting down through all the layers. Oh well, I do admit there is usually some green leafy material that comes off in the shower. I think snow is beautiful and usually enjoy it more than rain. (Let me see, the snow shovel is in the lean-to). During one snow storm about Thanksgiving, maybe three years back, we let some stranded strangers spend the night on our living room floor. Poor folks, they were headed all the way from California to Maine.
Rural living - this county does NOT close school for bad weather. I hear my favorite Christian radio station in Colorado Springs announcing school closures and delays. Guess what - no such thing here. A bus run may be suspended as happened here during the floods. One bus (0f about 20) was sent home early and then missed a full day.
Chickens can be real funny in the wind. Mostly they just hunker down in a sheltered place, but when they move across the back yard, the wind hits them in the side and their feathers are all messed and out of place and very often they have problems getting to their destination in a straight line. Another funny thing with chickens is that they have no traction on ice. I have seen chickens blown the 20 foot length of a frozen ice puddle in the back yard. And I have such a good view out a big window in the dining room.
The sheep just seem to take the weather in stride, after all, look at their insulation. My sheep are young, so this is their first winter experience, but last year the three year old ewe just laid down where ever she chose and there she was.
The goats are fussy, fussy, fussy. They complain about the heat, the wind, the snow, the rain, the... I think I have my animals penned in such a way that there is room for everyone under a roof. In the big pen, the calf usually sleeps in the shed and the goats outside as sleeping by a calf is beneath their dignity. Tonight I expect a 150 pound goat to push the 300 pound calf out or lay beside him. My only question is if the the 150 three year old goat will "allow" the 125 pound yearling goat to share the roof. Poor Miracle, she doesn't have a buddy to hang out with and most of the other goats push her around and pick on her. I will be watching closely, but not sure what to do if Lollipop will not give her shed space. How can I tell Miracle that she can hide behind Ole, the calf for shelter and warmth?
Cold is not bad without wind. I own a couple sets of long johns. The last couple of winter we had very cold and enduring temperatures. I got to wondering how life would feel without long johns. I even had most of poem written in my head called "Life After Long Johns", but I never wrote it down. I could have another chance to do that this winter.
Lord of all creation - watch over us as we have winter.

No comments: